[CrackMonkey] DoS

John jjaros at svn.net
Wed Feb 9 13:54:33 PST 2000

Is it true that the FBI has determined that these DoS attacks are
emanating from inside several primate centers?

For several months I've been researching anthropological connections
between Madagascar and Unix culture. The Malagasy LUG was rather helpful
in quickly pointing to Rick Moen, whom I tracked here to the crackmonkey
list. I've been reading the digest sporadically since that time.

The connection I was seeking though was more transcendent; more
Lemurian.

As a Unix diffusionist, I had been hoping to make a connection between
clovis point phenomenon and GNU tools. Yesterday, it happened for me --
the flint lit the hemp. Although I can't go into a lot of detail yet, I
can now establish a direct link between Lemurs and the 1977
'coincidence' of Unix and the vi editor 'birthing' on the UCB campus.
These dots are connected in part through the right to left cross country
migration of one Thomas Mercer-Hursh Ph.D.

Strangely, Dr. Mercer-Hursh left SUNY Albany as a lecturing
anthropologist in the mid-70's and arrived days later in Berkeley as a
rather accomplished computer scientist, 'casually' availing himself to
the vi editor project. Meanwhile, one of his graduate students Laurie
Godfrey, goes on to become the pre-eminent authority on Lemurs? It's
more than some odd coincidence.

Anyway, this isn't why I'm posting. The reason I'm posting is bout this
omnipresent swirly logo phenomenon. What is up with this? I'd use
Diddlebug to draw it, but I don't own a Palm Pilot, and I think everyone
knows what I'm talking about. Here -- this one, and then also the
inverse ideogram.  http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/14/1414.html
Apparently, they both mean the same thing -- 'horse dung'.

I started really becoming bothered by this in the fall and it's gotten
progressively worse. I couldn't begin to list where it's showing up.
It's on nearly everything from Time Warner to Debian to well, now it's
even showing up on your crackmonkey mascot, wafting up as obvious toxin.

What toxin might we find on horse dung? A: Psilocybe. Would it really
surprise anyone to learn that right now at the University of
Massachusetts, one Laurie Godfrey is feeding liberty caps to lemurs.
Why? Desperate metaphysical anthropology, or matter of fact mythical
monkey month sweat shop Unix development? What do you suppose the ATF
will burst in on as they end this DoS attack with coordinated pre-dawn
primate center raids? Where does the swirly fit in? I for one am keeping
a keen eye on this one.

-JCJ