[CrackMonkey] [gkm@substance.abuse.blackdown.org: Drive-by sighting.]

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Feb 16 16:11:04 PST 2000

	Fantastico!  Shuttles!

----- glen mccready <gkm at substance.abuse.blackdown.org> -----
Forwarded-by: Nev Dull <nev at bostic.com>
Forwarded-by: Margo Seltzer <margo at eecs.harvard.edu>
Forwarded-by: "James L. Frankel" <frankel at faa.com>
Forwarded-by: Jamie Frankel <frankel at merl.com>
From: Darren Leigh <leigh>

The most recent space shuttle mission (STS-99) is currently performing
a high resolution radar mapping mission of the earth.  In order to get
a larger coverage area, it was launched with a much higher orbital
inclination (57 degrees) than usual (23 degrees).  This means that
unlike with most missions, the shuttle will be visible from our
latitude (42 degrees).  The shuttle is also in a lower orbit than
usual (radar returns going as 1/r^4) which means that it should be
quite bright.  Sky & Telescope magazine has published some siting
predictions for various cities, including Boston, which you can access
at

	http://www.skypub.com/sights/satellites/sts_na.html

The last time the shuttle docked with Mir, Yerazunis and I saw them
both (the shuttle was in approximately the same orbit about five
minutes behind).  They were *very* bright and could not be mistaken
for stars or airplanes.

Boston's visible passes for the next three days are:

Tuesday    6:12 p.m.  from NNE through NE  to ENE lasting 1 minute
Wednesday  5:58 p.m.  from N   through NE  to E   lasting 2 minutes
Thursday   5:44 p.m.  from NNW through NNE to ESE lasting 2 minutes

Given clear weather we might even be able to see them from a
conference room.

----- End forwarded message -----