[DeCSS] (forw) [CrackMonkey] URGENT: NEED URLS for DeCSS

Mr. Bad mr.bad at pigdog.org
Thu Feb 17 13:44:39 PST 2000

    Me> Hey, folks: I just got off the phone with a writer for Salon
    Me> this morning about the DeCSS software. He wanted to get some
    Me> URLs of people who have mirrored the stuff...

    AB> http://nycsoftware.com/MirrorList.asp?ID=1 has loads of
    AB> verified links.  http://www.sharedlib.org/ hasn't been updated
    AB> recently, but lots of the links are still valid.

Jeez, this is so embarassing.

I wrote an article about DeCSS for Pigdog Journal here:

	http://www.pigdog.org/decss/

The article is about ANOTHER program, totally not related to the
DVD-CSS-decrypting software, but also called "DeCSS." The point is
that us people who are too spineless to mirror the real "DeCSS" can
mirror this other one, which, uh... strips Cascading Style Sheets
(CSS) info from an HTML page. De-CSS, get it? Heh heh.

Totally dying of embarassment here, folks.

The idea is that thousands of sites on the Web could become "DeCSS
Distribution Centers." It's kind of like the end of "Spartacus" --
lots of us chickens can cause confusion and disturbance, with the
possible end scenario that people who are looking for DeCSS mirror
site operators to sue would throw up their hands in disgust.

Anywho, this guy from Salon.com saw the article and called me up. He
wanted to know if anyone yet mirroring the (new) DeCSS software, and I
asked my friends if they had it up yet. My definition of "URGENT" is
"I want to get the story of this prank into Salon Magazine." I assume
that folks who are defendants in court cases have a different
definition. :-)

Thanks for the info -- I'm going to pass the DeCSS (original) mirror
list link on to the reporter, and possibly do an article about it on
PDJ.

~Mr. Bad

		     Mr. Bad <mr.bad at pigdog.org>
	 Pigdog Journal | http://pigdog.org/ |  RoR - Alucard