[CrackMonkey] More Crackmonkey than could be believed.

Michael Jennings mej at valinux.com
Thu Feb 17 16:28:31 PST 2000

On Thursday, 17 February 2000, at 16:17:23 (-0800),
Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> Now I really HAVE seen everything.

Notice that they didn't say "Open Source License."  Most likely what
they're really willing to do is release the code to a few companies
and let those companies try to compete with them, not release the code
to the world.  And how many companies are (1) going to *want* to
compete against Microsoft, or (2) be able to grok 30+ million lines of
code enough to make significant improvements to it any time soon?

(This was reported by Business Week right after the ruling as one of
the options being considered.)

Gates is a business man.  He will take whatever option represents the
least possible loss of money.

Personally, I'm hoping the Justice Department requires Mr. Gates to
liquidate a good chunk of his assets in order to pay off the national
debt, or give it to the poor or something.

Michael

--
 "The last time I checked, the Constitution said, 'of the people, by
  the people, and for the people.'  That's what the Declaration of