[CrackMonkey] witty c++ text

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Feb 18 09:35:09 PST 2000

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> Yes.  The ability to explore interesting places is essential to
> human mental development.  Shortsighted zoning restrictions in
> suburbia have severely restricted the ability of people under 16
> to move from one place to another at will.  For example, you
> can have nothing but housing for miles, then nothing but retail,
> then nothing but a certain type of industry.  I believe that the
> suburban kid habit of depending on parents for rides leads to
> learned helplessness and lack of initiative as an adult.

This is bullshit. When I was a kid, I thought *nothing* of riding a bike
for six miles to go to the best music store. I didn't have to worry
about having my bike stolen the way I would in San Francisco.

In fact, I made a point of going all over the valley (when my mom lived
there) and Orange County (when I moved there with my dad). My average
amount of riding was probably 10 to 12 miles a day.

If anything, living in suburbia was *better* for my health as I got more
aerobic exercise.

> Caltrain mitigates this a little bit, but is no substitute for
> being able to walk or ride a bike to a friend's house, library,
> store, or movie.  And the South Bay is actually much _better_
> than most suburbia.

Um, you CAN walk or ride a bike to a friend's house, library, store or
movie in the South Bay. Even as a teenager. You aren't living in the South
Bay, you're living on Mars.

Overreliance on public transit has turned you and Nick into total lusers
who whine only about what they can't have because they DON'T FUCKING MAKE
THE EFFORT TO GET THERE.

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator