[CrackMonkey] Quote of the day

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 23 11:31:46 PST 2000

Quoting David Cassel (destiny at wco.com):

> "Slashdot, with its uncontrolled content and participants' poor impulse
> control, remains Internet culture's answer to 'Lord of the Flies'."
>
> 	-- http://www.salon.com/tech/books/2000/02/23/geeks/index1.html

Unfortunately, Scoville also blew it, earlier in the article, with:
"Leveraging his position and connections as a notable journalist...."

Not in _this_ universe.

I suppose it's remotely conceivable that Jonathan Katz has demonstrated
competence in some other areas of journalism -- perhaps in what I gather
was his former career covering Rock and Roll and other children's music.

However, in this one, he quickly revealed himself as a clueless hack.
And the story would have stopped there, except he's not quite the usual
run of wannabe.  Add self-absorbtion, loudness, obnoxiousness.  Subtract
any sense of class or discernment.  And that's our boy.

Technophiles as tortured souls and participants in Katz's cult of the
victim?  Please, spare me.

I was never among those who wasted their time berating Katz.  I simply
filtered him out.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!