[CrackMonkey] [Pigdog] Re: Camp Linux (Was: Article idea?)

Paul J Collins sneakums at eircom.net
Mon Jul 24 14:23:25 PDT 2000

    Rick> begin  Paul J Collins quotation:
    >> If I had the means to obtain Debian (potato or above), I would run it.

    Rick> Practical if either:

    Rick> (1) The machine has any form of Internet access, including 28.8 kbps
    Rick>     dialup.

I have 56k Internet access, but I pay for the calls; not a major
consideration, it's around 60c an hour off-peak.

    Rick> Get five floppy images from
    Rick> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/

My floppy drive does not work, and never has (I think it's the
controller).

    Rick> Specifically, rescue.bin, root.bin, driver-1.bin,
    Rick> driver-2.bin, driver-3.bin .  Write them to floppies using
    Rick> either dd or RAWRITE.EXE .  Boot the rescue disk.  Continue
    Rick> through the installation as directed.  The Debian Base
    Rick> System (equivalent of 11 diskettes, whose images you _can_
    Rick> retrieve and install from floppies) will by default be
    Rick> retrieved and installed from the Internet via http.  You can
    Rick> then build up your machine as desired, after that.  See:
    Rick> http://linuxmafia.com/debian/tips

That sounds very cool.  Aargh, now I'm getting ideas...

    Rick>   or...

    Rick> (2) You're within driving distance of Menlo Park, CA,

Alas, no.  Ireland.

    Rick> That's where my house is.  We have a full Debian mirror
    Rick> on-site, and can lend ethernet cards.

    Rick>   or...

    Rick> (3) You don't mind trying a set of pre-release, unofficial Debian
    Rick>     CD-ROMs.

I hear the current potato snaps are close to rock-solid, so that don't
bother me none.

    Rick> See the vendor list at http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors

I'll check that out.  Is the Debian CD bootable?

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD