[CrackMonkey] [mailman-owner@zork.net: CrackMonkey Subscribe Notification]

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Jul 31 12:59:06 PDT 2000

begin  Alex Feinberg quotation of Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 12:42:35PM -0700:

> Yes, be afraid. Be very afraid. We are the FIX of Borg, you will be
> assimilated. Being a troll is futile.

He can't be a troll on his own list. Whatever he does here is
automatically on-topic and appropriate.  Bastard.

But you can't dismiss 80x25 troglodytes out of hand, because old-school
multiuser Un*x boxes were the enabling technology for a fascinating
culture, while CORBA-powered deluxe GUI systems seem to be turning the
current generation of new hackers into illiterate weenies no better than
gamers or warez traders.

Communication tools are the ground on which communities build
themselves, and the flurry of new GUI applications are the foundation of
the net equivalent of a noisy food court.

(I'd love to be proven wrong -- point me at some intelligent forum where
the majority of participants use gWhatever, and I'll gladly lurk for a
while.)

--
Don Marti                                No haiku patents
dmarti at zgp.org                           means I've no incentive to