[CrackMonkey] [mailman-owner@zork.net: CrackMonkey Subscribe Notification]

Joakim Ziegler joakim at helixcode.com
Mon Jul 31 16:12:09 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 12:59:06PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:

> But you can't dismiss 80x25 troglodytes out of hand, because old-school
> multiuser Un*x boxes were the enabling technology for a fascinating
> culture, while CORBA-powered deluxe GUI systems seem to be turning the
> current generation of new hackers into illiterate weenies no better than
> gamers or warez traders.

> Communication tools are the ground on which communities build
> themselves, and the flurry of new GUI applications are the foundation of
> the net equivalent of a noisy food court.

> (I'd love to be proven wrong -- point me at some intelligent forum where
> the majority of participants use gWhatever, and I'll gladly lurk for a
> while.)

Advogato is probably such a place. I'm not sure if the majority of people
there are still GNOME users, but I know that that used to be true, at least,
and the forum has always been intelligent.

It's also where you can read my fascinating article about the future of GUIs
for expert users, "Towards the Anti-Mac".

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim at helixcode.com - Radagast at IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer