[CrackMonkey] [mailman-owner@zork.net: CrackMonkey Subscribe Notification]

Paul J Collins sneakums at eircom.net
Mon Jul 31 16:56:46 PDT 2000

    Michael> On Monday, 31 July 2000, at 21:51:31 (+0100),
    Michael> Paul J Collins wrote:

    >> Who needs sissy alpha-blended file windows with l33t
    >> anti-aliased TrueType fonts?

    Michael> I'd much rather have that than a bunch of Windows
    Michael> Explorer wanna-bes like gmc, kfm, and Nautilus.

I was being sarcastic there, although graphical file managers are not
to my personal taste.  Nautilus will be using anti-aliased SVG icons,
to the best of my knowledge, not pissy little bitmaps like Windows
Explorer.

    >> Have you seen E's nasty confguration language?  I'm sorry, but
    >> all-caps commands, each prefixed by two underlines, is an
    >> indicator of serious braindamage.

    Michael> Actually, this is 100% incorrect.  E's configuration
    Michael> language is actually composed of numbers.  What you're

Jesus Christ, and that *isn't* nasty?

    Michael> referring to are the config files before they get
    Michael> pre-processed by epp (a slightly modified cpp).  Thus,
    Michael> you can make E's config language anything you want it to
    Michael> be just by writing cpp-style macros.

Anything I want?  No.  all I can do is change the names of the
commands and possibly mangle the arrangement of them somewhat.  cpp is
a poor tool for that job.

Give me Rep any day.

When are you switching to binary Ethemes?

    Michael> And the underlines have the same purpose they do in C
    Michael> headers and libraries: to avoid namespace collisions.
    Michael> The all-caps is due to the standard of cpp macros having
    Michael> all-caps names.

*ALL* identifiers beginning with _ are reserved for the
implementation.  Users have no business creating such.  All that using
__SYMBOLS __LIKE __THESE does is make the files a pain in the arse to
read, even on paper.  If you were avoiding name space collisions, you
would prefix all of your symbols with E_ and say in the docs that E
owns all such symbols.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD