[CrackMonkey] [mailman-owner@zork.net: CrackMonkey Subscribe Notification]

Joakim Ziegler joakim at helixcode.com
Mon Jul 31 16:52:23 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 11:35:12PM -0700, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Monday, 31 July 2000, at 21:51:31 (+0100),
> Paul J Collins wrote:

>> Dumbest idea I've ever seen. Why use a structure like a database,
>> which provides much un-needed overlay, when in fact such a thing
>> could be acomplished in a text file -- that would require less code,
>> less libraries to link with (gdbm I believe is what EFM asks for)
>> and it would be human readable.

> This is also not true.  Databases were chosen for one simple reason:
> speed of random access to data.  No text file can come close to the
> speed of a binary database.

So using in-memory models that actually differ from the flat text file format
never occured to you. That gives me a lot of faith in your system. I'd also
like to know what the speed advantages are of using a binary database to hold
lots of images in a monolithic file are, as compared to having the images in
separate files with known filenames.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim at helixcode.com - Radagast at IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer