[CrackMonkey] [mailman-owner@zork.net: CrackMonkey Subscribe Notification]

Aaron Lehmann aaronl at vitelus.com
Mon Jul 31 19:27:45 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 07:33:20PM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 12:12:37AM -0700, Michael Jennings wrote:
> > On Monday, 31 July 2000, at 18:52:23 (-0500),
> > Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>
> I'm still interested in why it's impossible to use an in-memory
> representation which isn't the same as the on-disk representation.

As I understand it, in EFM the database holds individal settings for
every directory you have done anything to. This is a lot of stuff for
someone who uses EFM a lot. EFM' developers have decided to read it
off the disk when necessary, rather than keep all the data for all
directories in memory. I believe Nick agrees with this philosophy,
since it is the main thing he blasts Emacs for. Berkeley DB makes it
easier to read things off the disk incrementally, since with a text
file it would have to be parsed each time.

I'm glad it uses this method rather than dropping a .attrs file or
something into every directory I visit. I don't want it randomly
creating dotfiles around my filesystem, and in addition in places
where I may not have write access.