[CrackMonkey] Batteries in parallel

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Sep 4 12:33:48 PDT 2000

Suppose I connect five 6 volt batteries in parallel and then apply a
resistive load in series.

Except the actual open-circuit voltages of the "6 volt" batteries vary
within a range of up to 1 V -- some might be 6.3 V, some might be 5.8 V.

What will happen?  What will determine the effective voltage across
the resistive load?

What will happen to the voltage differences?

My intuition is that some power will flow from the higher-voltage
batteries to charge the lower-voltage batteries (like if you attach a
9 V battery to a 6 V battery with reversed polarity) and so to increase
their voltages toward an equilibrium state.  Some of the power that
flows this way would be dissipated as heat in the internal resistance
of the various batteries.

Is it a big problem to try to charge non-rechargeable batteries this
way?  Will they produce a smaller effective resistance and melt or
something?

I want to connect batteries in parallel so that they can power a
larger resistive load at their full rated voltage (i.e. to increase
output current at the same voltage -- if one 6 V battery can produce x mA
of current at 6 V, then n such batteries in parallel will give nx mA
at 6 V), and to prolong individual battery life.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I