[CrackMonkey] Hey!

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Thu Sep 7 11:33:41 PDT 2000

Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> web browser. Think of little info kiosk things. That's a primary space
> that BeOS is headed for. Given that we're talking,  much like some of the
> QNX systems, a 16MB flash setup with no hard disk, it's a pretty tight
> constraint.

16 MB is a tight constraint?

Some of the "embedded" linux systems I've had exposure to[1] can get a
graphical environment (not X) up in only 2 mb of flash, leaving 14 MB in
which to implement some kind of web browser.

I've seen others[2] that use a web browser written for the frame buffer
console.

Heck, 16MB of flash is around 20 to 30 MB of space, if you compress
the filesystem. I can almost fit a base Debian install in that!

--
see shy jo

[1] Such as the vhl-tools project for the helio.
[2] A set-top box Lineo has developed.