[CrackMonkey] OS/X Beta

Peter A. Peterson II pedro at flynn.zork.net
Fri Sep 15 06:51:01 PDT 2000

Quoting J C Lawrence:
> Talk about winning the distro wars through the back door.

<ass kissing>
You are right as usual, Don.
</ass kissing>

But seriously. OS/X is a great idea -- and I wish that Microsoft would
do the same thing with NT (Well, I wish that Microsoft would go away,
but if I had to pick a strategy for them...) But with Apple's power,
they have quite a corner on the desktop *nix market.

I hope that instead of holding that deathgrip, OS/X opens people's
minds to *nix, and when they get tired of being spoonfed (or sold
their own fat,) they'll discover the wonderful world of free software.

This is totally tangental (and I imagine Deirdre has some thoughts on
this topic,) but the other thing that's been bugging me lately is how
Steve Jobs is not the cuddly, Ben & Jerry's style executive he used to
be. Policies and decisions seem more and more Microsoftian -- and thus
I'm starting to see how Apple is playing their customer base for fools
-- selling them a product and a environment *because* it's Mac, or
*because* "we're the stylish, hip computer company," making grandiose
claims about performance, etc, yet going litigant because an employee
leaked a photo of the cube, or charging $30 for beta software. (Beta
software whose important parts are free anyway.)

It's like, Microsoft tries to play everyone for the fool. Apple
catches everyone that's either too hip or too whatever to fall for
M$'s shtick. Just like the Top 40 "Alternative" Stations
that popped up across America in 1994. Now everyone's wearing baggy
pants.

Hey, "think different" everybody,

pedro

      "She's laughin in her sleeve, boys;
   I can feel it in my bones."  -- Tom Waits