[CrackMonkey] OS/X Beta

Peter A. Peterson II pedro at flynn.zork.net
Fri Sep 15 11:49:08 PDT 2000

Quoting Rick Moen:
> He never was, nor was Apple management _ever_ a bunch of free-thinking
> artistic non-conformists.  It's all marketing.  Jobs was _always_ a
> con-artist, lying asshole, all the way back to the Apple II days -- and
> Apple Computer company policy has always been Orwellian.

The worst computer related promo I have ever seen was Macintosh, not
Microsoft, and it was about the time that the PPC was coming out. It
was this 30 minute (hourlong?) infomercial touting the power and the
speed of the Macintosh by following this family through the buying and
usage of their new PowerPC.

The child was making videos and digitizing them and doing a
international collaborative project over the web with friends from all
over the world, and uploading VIDEO over his 28.8 (33.6?) in like 6
seconds. He was transformed by the speed and the power of his
computer! Not to mention the international and cross-cultural
opportunities afforded by a video camera and a magically fast modem!

The father was even shown "getting into the act" as the whole family
marveled at how EVEN OL' DAD could use software to manage money, type
letters, and work spreadsheets -- with software like Excel, Word,
etc... software that is exactly the same if not BETTER on a wintel
machine.

This is exactly what really burns my ass about Macintosh: Microsoft
may put out buggy products and have Machiavellian business practices,
but they're USUALLY not spewing out totally false glittering
generalities about their machines or their products that are FANTASY
based. And Mac users, zealots that they are, generally swallow it hook
line and sinker, so we STILL hear about how Mac's are really the only
platform for AV or that G4's are SUPERCOMPUTERS or blah blah but it's
just. Not. True.

shrug,

pedro

      "She's laughin in her sleeve, boys;
   I can feel it in my bones."  -- Tom Waits