[CrackMonkey] [gkm@blackdown.org: All hail Komrades Thompson and Ritchie.]

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Sep 20 15:09:07 PDT 2000

----- Forwarded message from glen mccready <gkm at blackdown.org> -----
Forwarded-by: Nev Dull <nev at sleepycat.com>
Forwarded-by: Dave Glowacki <dglo at ssec.wisc.edu>

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00/09/20/027209&cid=84

> I'd wager that most of the folks who care about OS-X as end-users
> don't care that it is based on a UNIX-like OS: they just want their
> Mac to run. The credit for the stability of OS-X will go to Apple,
> not to BSD, for the most part (even if that is inaccurate)."

This is true, up to a point. But in some ways, a general ignorance of
Unix seems to help drive a certain romantic ideal -- an ideal that
keeps the word "Unix" in very active circulation even outside of geek
circles.  To the typical Mac end-user, Unix is mysterious, and
ancient, and strong. It's made of cast iron and the bones of heroic
programmers of old. Unix is like a brawny Soviet on a Constructivist
poster, swinging his hammer for his comrades. We don't know why it's
good, but damn if our hearts aren't stirred by the weighty, solidly
angular goodness of it all.

----- End forwarded message -----

Pigdog.Org      - The Online Handbook for Bad People of the Future
                You are not entitled to your opinions.