[CrackMonkey] San FranStripMall

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Sep 24 10:58:52 PDT 2000

San Francisco musicians protest dot-com takeover of rehearsal space

By RON HARRIS
Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Cigarette butts, empty beer cans and worn guitar
picks littered the floor at Downtown Rehearsal as somber musicians
packed up their gear and moved out to an uncertain future.

Unknown bands as well as hot shot rockers like Chris Isaak got their
walking papers last month in the form of 45-day eviction notices that
spelled the end for the city's largest practice space and the beginning
of what many say is a mass exodus of local music from the city that
Carlos Santana, Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead called home.

Mike Kimball, guitarist for the local hard rock band Broken, coiled up
amplifier cords as drummer Gene Maynard removed colored lights from the
rafters of their rehearsal room.

"It is a dot-com squeeze out, man. The rents are ridiculous," Kimball
said, as he gathered his belongings and bemoaned the future of the
city's music scene. "I'm thinking about moving to L.A."

Kimball blamed technology industry newcomers to San Francisco who have
been gobbling up once-affordable space for offices and who he says
prefer disc jockey dance music to rock and roll.

"It's turning into a yuppified city. They don't want to go out and see
live music. They want to hang out and go to the snazzy club and look
cool and drink. It's ridiculous," Kimball said.

Teryl Koch bought the building last year for $6 million, then sold it to
Cupertino-based JMA Properties for a reported $16 million.

Koch's son, Greg, who has run Downtown Rehearsal since 1992, wouldn't
confirm the selling price, but he said his father turned down offers as
high as $10 million as recently as December. He defended the sale and
said he gave musicians more than he ever took away.

"I went in there and I took a huge risk," Greg Koch said. "I saw that
San Francisco had musical rehearsal studios, but most of them, quite
frankly, were dumps."

He built 155 rooms that housed more than 270 bands splitting monthly
rents of about $500, at least $100 less than competing rehearsal spots
in the city.

To soften the blow, the Kochs have offered $500,000 for a fund to find
alternative practice space for the displaced musicians, provided they
all move out on time -- a requirement for completion of the sale.

Stephan Jenkins of Third Eye Blind and Kirk Hammett of Metallica, who
has used the Downtown Rehearsal facilities, have offered to hold
fund-raiser concerts to raise money for new practice space, said Gavin
Newsom, a member of the city's Board of Supervisors.

Some musicians criticized the Kochs' offer as blood money, but Greg Koch
said it's the best deal they're going to get and he hopes they accept
it.

On Saturday, frustrated musicians organized and took to the street in a
planned protest. From the warehouse district to Haight Street, bands
like Staci Twigg, The Cubby Creatures and Jaded Internet Veterans played
songs on rooftops and street corners and handed out fliers describing
their plight.

"We're just out here to say it's kind of a drag that people are
scrambling to find places to play," said Paula Murray, of the Paula
Murray Trio, in between songs on a sun-dappled sidewalk.

Joel Perez, 28, of The Cubby Creatures played in front of a garage for a
crowd of six. He says too many people are moving to his city and driving
rents through the roof. Perez' band shares rehearsal space with five
others at Secret Studios in San Francisco where management informed
tenants last week that it would be increasing the rent as much as 40
percent.

Too make matters worse, Coast Recorders, a premier recording studio
where crooner Chris Isaak has cut tracks, is closing at the end of the
month. That studio is located in the thick of at least 500
Internet-related companies with some 40,000 employees, occupying trendy
office space where the vacancy rate is less than 1 percent and average
rents often exceed $60 per square foot.

The rockers aren't going quietly. A meeting with Greg Koch and
representatives from the city was arranged for Sunday.

"The best we can do is kick and scream as we go," said Newsom, who heads
a committee fighting against further development in the city. He said
has spoken with several prominent Bay Area musicians about thinning
rehearsal space. "The city is changing in front of us," he said. "Its
soul is changing."

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Don Marti                                This email brought to you
dmarti at zgp.org                           by the number 67 and the