[CrackMonkey] Req: svga video-driver for Packard Bell Model 850

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 26 16:18:28 PDT 2000

begin  Paul J Collins quotation:

> Read his message, and take off the Obtuse-O-Specs before you do so.

Indeed, it made perfectly plain that what he needs is *BSD or Linux.

> A Packard Bell?  Perfectly good?  What planet have you been on?

Perfectly good if received gratis.  Until it fails, in which case it
becomes a perfectly good doorstop.

> The only reason X is still popular is because of the huge installed
> base of clients and toolkits.

Indeed, I look forward to the further development of the Berlin system
-- but, for the time being, there isn't anything else suitable.  (Well,
maybe that whack-assed display-PDF thing, but I'm not sure about its
legal status.)

> Hey, isn't that why people use Windows?

Again, its correct name is "X Windows System" or "X".  There once was
some proprietary offering with a similar name, but that was a last
decade or so.

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm