[CrackMonkey] Pedro's DSL Adventures

Peter A. Peterson II pedro at flynn.zork.net
Thu Sep 28 12:07:13 PDT 2000

I ordered my DSL on Sept. 7th. I have a friend who lives just up the
street who has been waiting 6 months for his, so I thought I would be
conscientous and get a hold of Telocity occaisionally (especially if
there was any confusion) just to make sure that things were going they
way that they should, and that my file wasn't sitting with a big red X
at the bottom of a stack...

> We've reserved the following time to visit your residence to
> perform the necessary wiring for your Telocity service
> installation:
>
> TBD
>
> The installer will arrive during the scheduled time and will:
> 1) Test the integrity of the circuit that has been run to the
> outside of your home.

> Please reply to this email within 48 hours to confirm or reschedule
> the appointment.  To confirm this appointment, reply to this email
> with "CONFIRM" 'DSLACI169859' TBD in the subject line of your email.

> For general questions about your order, please go to
> www.telocity.com and follow the Order Status link at the bottom of
> the page.
>
>Telocity Customer Care

Yes, what day is TBD? I don't have that in my calendar...

dmelton writes back...

then this guy Dan wrote this:

> [...]

So I forwarded the confirmation for the 12th back to Dan (who just
canceled that appointment).

I also find out that Dave's DSL got hooked up today.

Then Dan Lang sent me this one liner:

> we are tring to figure out what is going on with this order. I will
> get back to you

At this point, my faith in the process started to really fail. I
wondered if Dan Lang was killed in some kind of revolution before he
could put the period on the end of the second sentence. Perhaps
someone at Telocity *really* didn't want me to get my DSL in, and Dan
died valiantly in the fight to bring me bandwidth...

Dan is starting to remind me of DeNiro's character in Brazil -- Harry
Tuttle -- flying in on zip lines, attaching my heat for free, etc...

> After researching this I am going to go ahead and rescheduled you for
> 10-12 between 8 and noon. Please email me back to confirm this appointment.
> Thank You

I was relieved, until I got the email from Brenda. (Who's Brenda???):

Oh yeah Brenda? I've got DAN LANG, FREEDOM FIGHTER on my side. You
said it was "Unavoidable," but DAN LANG seems to think OTHERWISE! --
and what's more, he's ON TO YOU, BRENDA.

Anybody want to start a PayPal pool regarding when my DSL will be
hooked up and functioning?

Dave's DSL stopped working a day after it got hooked up.

pedro

      "She's laughin in her sleeve, boys;
   I can feel it in my bones."  -- Tom Waits