[CrackMonkey] GPL game theory

Mike Goldman whig at debian.org
Fri Sep 29 13:26:50 PDT 2000

Nick Moffitt wrote:

> http://www2.fastdial.net/~drysdam/essays/GPL-as-strategy.html
>
> Fascinating stuff.

Yes, but it presumes a negative payoff when someone uses your code.

I don't feel that this is accurate, at worst the payoff is neutral, as it
deprives me nothing but a lost opportunity if someone uses my code without
compensation.

Reconsidering the payoff matrix in this case, we get:

        T       O       G

T       0       10      0

O       0       10      0

G       0       10      10

In other words, T does not predate upon O, but G still wins.

Now consider another payoff matrix, where one WANTS his code to be used,
and therefore it is a positive payoff:

        T       O       G

T       0       10      0

O       10      20      10

G       0       10      20

In this case, O wins.

The bottom line, there is room for debate whether O or G is superior, and
it depends upon the preferred payoff matrix of the author.  But T never
wins.