[CrackMonkey] I actually do feel a need for a laptop with speed

Irish Bastard sneakums at zork.net
Fri Jan 19 00:51:53 PST 2001

    MM> begin  George J.P. Perry quotation:
    >> ?Who's ready to upgrade... ?who'll suggest a broker, dealer... -g
    MM> The key here is that George wants a system with linux-friendly
    MM> sound hardware.  He plans to feed oggs into his radio shows
    MM> from the laptop (currently he queues up CDs and tapes).

I have Debian 2.2 running on a Dell Latitude CPx-H.  It has a Maestro
2E chipset, which maestro.o fully supports.  The only weird thing is
that it's very loud unless the volume is brought down to 20% or so,
but if you're using a line-out, the quirks of Dell's little headphone
amp are a non-issue.

One trick with the X server is that unless you add Option
"fifo_conservative", you will get on-screen snow in anything above
8-bit color.  As we know, the only people who should be using 8-bit
colour are those stuck with an obsolete Sun framebuffer.

As for connectivity, mine is fitted with a Xircom RealPort combined
Ethernet / Modem.

Disadvantage: it's a type-III card, so you lose both slots.

Advantage: you can plug phone and RJ-45s straight in; no dongles to
break/lose.

Everything was supported by Debian; no hackery required.

--
<sneakums at zork.net> >>>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>> >> >
< << <<< "I saw the crescent,