[CrackMonkey] Fw: [Evolution] Interview with Miguel de Icaza

solitaire solitaire at tygger.net
Fri Jan 19 23:46:13 PST 2001

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 02:09:24AM -0500, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:32:45 +1100, solitaire opined:
>
> >  What's this "we", white man?
>
> Yes, precisely. Linux becoming popular, "winning the desktop," is a
> good thing for PRECISELY who or what? Is this supposed to bring with it

Which is why "we" aren't trying to win converts. I have made it
my mission to prevent people from using linux. Ironically enough, Open
Source literature is my best friend here - I look up all the "Ten
myths about Linux debunked" articles, snip the debunking and send them
to people who *deserve* a life of Redmond-induced horror. Which is
certainly most of the people *I* know.

> > "More users" is IPO speak for "Too lazy to write a business plan or develop
> >  a viable business model", after all.
>
> Well, give them credit for knowing that they would be laughed out of
> town even for merely presenting a business plan.

Heck, in this day and age they deserve credit for finding a VC still
willing to hand over $15 million.

> > Who needs a product when you've got market share?
>
> Who needs market share when you've got investors? Or LINUX PORTAL
> SITES?

ITYM Vortals. Possibly even Consumer-driven Cobranded inter-leveraging
networking opportunities, this week.

> >   "RMS vs ESR? That's Root Mean Squared versus Equivalent Series
> >   Resistance, of course."
> >  	-- Sharkey, in Jenn's social interview
>
> Please help me understand your sig file. Should I be reading an AC/DC
> subtext into it, and free associating along psychosexual lines? What
> all the brouhaha over those two's "preferences."

I'm not even willing to contemplate Sharkey's psychosexual lines.
Especially involving Jenn, ESR or RMS. Though depending on the
position being interviewed for, I'd imagine it could be important to
know if the interviewee prefers root or resistance.

> In other words, is this a real interview and if so where can it be
> read?

I don't believe anyone has transcribed the full interview, no. Selected
highlights from the life of the company Jenn was interviewing for crop
up in my sigfile with alarming, ney , disturbing regularity. Wait for
the one about the rubber chicken. It'll have you rolling in the
aisles.

sol.
.
--
 "Postmodernism is *not* a dirty word!" -- Hobbes