[CrackMonkey] Can No Man Stand Up To Don Marti?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Jan 24 19:52:53 PST 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:38:20PM -0800, Mr. Bad wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41397,00.html

The freedom-loving freaks and EFF had nothing to do with Leonardo
quitting SDMI. IMHO, what really burned his bacon was the fact that
every pissant SDMI member had their own proprietary little business
model, watermarking scheme, software patent, encryption algorithm,
codec, or other top-secret little doo-dad, and they all wanted to
be King of the Motherfucking Hill and make everybody else pay them
royalties for all time, so none of them could agree on a goddamn thing,
except on the need to form factions/in-groups/industry consortia and
conspire against each other. Leonardo had no more chance of keeping SDMI
organized than your substitute high school band teacher did of getting
the whole band to sight-read "Also Sprach Zarathustra" perfectly the
first time through on a Friday afternoon.

dmarti at zgp.org            -- Bruce Schneier, Secrets and Lies, p. 246.