[free-sklyarov] A natural ally -- Stephen King?

Keith Handy keith at indierecords.com
Wed Aug 1 07:04:08 PDT 2001

From: "Daniel Richards" <kyhwana at world-net.co.nz>

> I don't think he really understands since he told people that if they
> downloaded a "second copy" in a different format they should pay
> again. That doesn't sound like someone who "gets it" to me.

Maybe he *would* get it if he knew the facts about the case.  At least
he didn't put his readers in jail.

Anyway, please everybody try to think of *more* authors that might
potentially be natural allies, and don't rule them out too soon just for
being uninformed or misinformed -- that's where we come in.

I'd try to help with this but I don't read a lot of fiction.

I am, however, in the middle of coming up with a raw list of well-known
musicians who could potentially speak out against this if they know
there is a political prisoner involved -- look for those who speak
openly of the evils of their own record label (past or present)/entire
industry, or those who have used music as a voice for strong political
views.  (Another criteria is that they still have to be living, which
unfortunately rules out John Lennon and Frank Zappa.)  Names that
immediately come to my mind are Bob Dylan, Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel,
Courtney Love, Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Roger Waters, and Neil Young.
There are surely many, MANY others; please help me here.

Now slap me before I get too carried away and organize a "Live Aid"-type
benefit concert in my mind.  ;)

-Keith