[free-sklyarov] Sklyarov=Napster according to Senator Boxer

Peter pmasloch at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 14:03:39 PDT 2001

Probably they have some part-time students sitting there and sending
out already made e-mails :-)))
Peter

Free Dmitry Sklyarov
Repeal the DMCA
http://www.lupercalia.net/dmca
http://www.freesklyarov.org

My response to Senator Botster:

Dear Senator Boxer:

I appreciate your timely response. You may be unaware
that my letter did not concern Napster, but in fact
concerned Dmitry Sklyarov, a visiting scholar who
is being held in federal custody by our government.
His home is in Russia and he is currently being held
far from his family despite having committed
no crime in his own country, despite that he poses
no danger to our society, and despite the fact that
his
original accusers Adobe Software have disavowed any
support of his arrest.

As a computer scientist who has presented research
both here and abroad, I take a great interest in our
treatment of visiting computer researchers. I also
consider the anti-circumvention provision of DMCA to
be an unworkable law, and its criminal prosecution to
be a gross injustice.

If you have not done so already, please inform
yourself
on the implications of DMCA to the longstanding
notion of fair use in copyright law. Rep. Rick Boucher
(D-VA) has written on this topic:
http://www.house.gov/boucher/docs/fairuse.htm

I eagerly await any relevant information you can
supply regarding your stance on DMCA and the Dmitry
Sklyarov case in particular.

Sincerely,
Paul Callahan