kids & PR [Re: [free-sklyarov] More Minnesota pictures]

Alex Fabrikant alexf at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 1 14:28:52 PDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, alfee cube wrote:
> great pics - love the one of the (father & son?)
> holding hands and a sign which says
> "if i make a copy it is fair use - if i help you do it
> it is a felony"
> they say a pic is a 1k words - this has to be 10k min

This is the picture Alfee is talking about:

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~eriksson/antidmca/freedmitry/mn010730/dcp_1489.jpg

I think there's a point that needs to be made here -- I really do think
that photo is VERY effective PR for all of us. It does wonders for
shifting our image from "disgruntled geeks" (which I'm quite happy with,
but the public won't be too sympathetic to) to "average American citizen
and family man whose rights are being trampled upon" (which should strike
a much better chord with the public). So, to all the parents out there --
if possible (and plausible), consider bringing your kids to the rallies.
It can be a good chance to teach them a lesson or two about taking an
active part in the way society is run, and, I bet, is REALLY DAMN GOOD PR.

Actually, if permission can be obtained from the photographer and the
person pictureed, this could also be a good photo to give to the media if
they ask for photos, too...

--
-alexf