[free-sklyarov] Wretched article at inside.com

Doug Lay douglay at relicorp.com
Wed Aug 1 21:35:51 PDT 2001

Thanks for the feedback, Richard.  And thanks for a wonderful article at
MSNBC yesterday.

I had a chance to cool down a bit on the ride home today, and had a couple
of thoughts about Mr. Parloff's "tour de farce.."

(1)  This man is scared, and on the defensive.  A calm lawyer at the top of
his game would not be adopting such a bitter, sarcastic tone.  And he
certainly wouldn't use a racially charged term like "maumauing" to describe
the behavior of his opponents.

(2) Looks like it might be possible to foster some serious "internal strife"
between the Feds and the AAP crowd regarding the handling of this case.  If
the whole thing weren't so dead serious, I would be tempted to laugh out
loud at Parloff's suggestion that ElcomSoft president Katalov should offer
himself for prosecution in exchange for Sklyarov's release.  I mean, what is
this, hostage negotiations!?!?

At any rate, I believe Mr. Parloff's message boils down to this:  "We will
protect our revenue model by any means necessary, certainly including
throwing those who threaten our model in jail.  We will not be so naive as
to focus on those who actually pirate our work, because there are too many
of them,  and anyway, many of them are also our paying customers.  Rather,
we will focus our wrath on you, the technologists, because you have the
ability to empower many people at once, for purposes both good and ill."

That is his message, but I perceive a quavering in his voice.

-Doug