[free-sklyarov] the Russian angle (was "NC Call ...")

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Wed Aug 1 17:26:20 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 05:40:10PM -0500, Rob McGee wrote:
> > This is something I've found VERY surprising.  In all I've read of this
> > situation (and admittedly, my reading has NOT been exhaustive), I've yet
> > to run across any commentary on the Russian governments efforts to have
> > Dmitry released.  When US resident, Chinese citizens, were dteained in
> > China, the news was full of US government's indignation and efforts to get
> > them released through diplomatic channels (obviously successful).  What
> > has, if anything, the Putin government done thus far (that's known)?
> > Perhaps this is a consequence of the breakdown of the hairly/bald mode of
> > transition in the Russian government ;-)
>
> I think it can be explained 100% by the enormous political and economic
> power of the USA as opposed to both Russia and China.

specifically russia. from what I know (I may be wrong, I'm not a
russian), russia is literally afraid of the economic power of the USA.
the breakdown of the russian financial system was considerably aided by
certain activities and more importantly non-activities of that
corporate republic of yours. it definitely taught the russians that
they are now at the mercy of their former enemy.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org