[free-sklyarov] brainstorming

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 3 00:24:21 PDT 2001

on Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 08:34:12AM +0200, David Haworth (david.haworth at altavista.net) wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:34:15PM -0500, Kastlyn wrote:
> > Here's an idea for a protest..
> [...]
> > What about a public book reading?
>
> If you could find a work that's in the public domain, but is
> published as an eBook with the "read aloud" permission denied,
> you might be able to score a political point or 2.

The US Constitution is my own personal pick.  Or the Bible, which should
score some points with the political conservatives.

Consider too that the current bruhaha has been going on since the first
lines were scratched in clay.  Martin Luther (the German, not the Civil
Rights leader, King) committed the unpardonable sin of translating the
Bible into the common tongue, from Latin.

More recently, every advance in reproduction, storage, and transmission
has more or less repeated this debate:  phonograph, radio, television,
xerox machine, audio tape, video tape, computer, internet, digital
media....  Which doesn't directly lend itself to protest ideas, but it
may inspire someone.

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org