[free-sklyarov] brainstorming

Alex Fabrikant alexf at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 3 00:48:12 PDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Benjamin Krueger wrote:
> > The US Constitution is my own personal pick.  Or the Bible, which should
> > score some points with the political conservatives.
>
> The Bible is probably not a good choice. Most versions of the Bible are
> Copywritten, not public domain. For the most part, they may be altered or
> [...]

Using the Bible will also alienate a substantial part of the group who are
not Christian as well as the respective part of the observers to whom we
are trying to deliver our message.

The US Constitution is a better pick, but still doesn't really satisfy the
original intent since we are trying to show off the fact that we're making
fair use of a COPYRIGHTED work by reading to others from a copyrighted
book we bought. Last time I checked, the US Constitution wasn't too
copyrighted (or so I should hope...).

Pick a recent children's book. Harry Potter or something similar which a
large fraction of the population knows about, and which is still subject
to copyright law. And then we can do the "50 people to commit a felony at
high noon at __(place)__" pitch, too. I think this can be quite effective.

--
-alexf