[free-sklyarov] brainstorming

Kastlyn kastlyn at unixtribe.net
Fri Aug 3 13:27:50 PDT 2001

The fundamental issue behind it is to exercise the fair-use of works NOT
in the public domain.  There are many works in the public domain.  Like
Shakespeare's works. (The interesting thing to point out here, though a
little off topic, is - where would we be if the many works that
Shakespeare heavily based much of his work on, had NOT been in the public
domain.  How many of the great works of the past would we not have today
if such draconian control of "Intellectual Property" had been in place
centuries ago?)  Though I'm not adverse to reading something that
is in the public domain, I think the focus should be on something that is
_not_ in the public domain.  "The Emperor's New Clothes" is a good
sugestion, and I'm not familiar with The Three Wolves and the Big Bad Pig,
but I'll check into it.  =}  Also, I think the Constitution is a good idea
to be read, maybe after the reading of a copyrighted work.  To bring home
the idea that we are perfectly within our rights in what we're doing.
Also, I caution against using the Bible.  Though many people hold it to be
sacred, many people do not, and I'd rather not alienate people by bringing
(any) religion into it.

                -=Amie=-