[free-sklyarov] London protests attracted significant press attention

Julian T. J. Midgley free-sklyarov at effector.xenoclast.org
Fri Aug 3 14:34:10 PDT 2001

See http://www.ntk.net/ for a typically amusing report of this
afternoon's protest at the US Embassy in London.

The protest should be covered in some depth on Newsnight at 1030 on BBC2-
it looks like they are planning to run with it, since we are mentioned in
the programme for tonight at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/events/newsnight/newsid_248000/248099.stm

A streaming webcast of the Newsnight programme should be available from
the same location at 1030 BST (GMT +1) (ie. approximately as I write
this).  I'm expecting a good 5-10 minute slot dedicated to the protests,
(shortly after the bomb piece screening right about now).

Aside from the BBC camera crew, reporters from NTK, Silicon.com, the New
Scientist and at least one other magazine attended the protest, which went
extremely smoothly.

Attendance varied as people came and went from work, with a core of 25-30
protestors, probably peaking somewhere between 35 and 40 on the initial
march through Hyde Park (or, more accurately, the yoyoing back and forth
in front of the BBC's camera in Hyde Park, for several takes).  I estimate
that we handed out over a thousand flyers.  There were several renditions
of the DMCA song, the last few really beginning to get quite tuneful, and
a couple of performances of the DMCA playlet in Grosvenor Square.  All in
all, a very successful day.

Julian

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                    http://www.xenoclast.org
Cambridge, England.                       PGP Key ID: 0xBCC7863F