[free-sklyarov] Language: copy prevention

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Fri Aug 3 16:46:08 PDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> I'm suggesting that the term used to describe anti-circumvention works
> under the DMCA be "copy prevention".  This describes what they do, they
> provide (or attempt) a technical block on copying data.

	Copying is only one thing publishers are trying to stop.
	Reading an EBook under Linux is not copying, and playing an
	Australian DVD on an American DVD player is not copying.

	If we speak of copy-protection or copy-control, then we
	are inadvertently focussing on only one action, which
	happens to include piracy.  Publishers would probably
	prefer this linguistic cropping of the problem.

	Could someone repost the URL for the present list of
	proposed counter-terminology?

							-S