[free-sklyarov] Language: copy prevention

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 3 17:12:01 PDT 2001

on Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 07:46:08PM -0400, Xcott Craver (sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU) wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > I'm suggesting that the term used to describe anti-circumvention works
> > under the DMCA be "copy prevention".  This describes what they do, they
> > provide (or attempt) a technical block on copying data.
>
> 	Copying is only one thing publishers are trying to stop.
> 	Reading an EBook under Linux is not copying, and playing an
> 	Australian DVD on an American DVD player is not copying.

"Access prevention" was another term I'd considered.  Seems more vague
than copy prevention.  What is 'access'?

> 	If we speak of copy-protection or copy-control, then we
> 	are inadvertently focussing on only one action, which
> 	happens to include piracy.  Publishers would probably
> 	prefer this linguistic cropping of the problem.

"Rights restriction"?  I'd like to focus on a negative action in the
term.

> 	Could someone repost the URL for the present list of
> 	proposed counter-terminology?

List archives only, AFAIK.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>            http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?               There is no K5 cabal