[free-sklyarov] Why is Sklyarov still in jail?

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Sat Aug 4 09:58:16 PDT 2001

Dmitry has already had a bail hearing, in front of a judge, with an
attorney, in Las Vegas - Kevin Mitnick sat in jail because he and his
lawyers waived his speedy trial rights. (not that I'm saying that was not
the right choice, given the volume and complexity of evidence they needed
to process, but *he waived his rights*, so it doesn't make sense to
complain about denying them to him.)

Not that I like what's happening, but let's not lose credibility by
complaining about things which aren't true.

The real problems here are -

1.      The inappropriateness of the DMCA
2.      The extraterritorial application of the DMCA
3.      Arresting someone visiting the country briefly to present a paper
to hold them for the first known prosecution under a new law

(which aren't necessarily legal problems, but moral, public relations, or
philosophical problems.)

If you're pissed off about how the criminal trial system works - and that's
a reasonable thing to be pissed about - it's probably not helpful to merge
that opposition with opposition to Dmitry's individual case, at least not
if your goal is to improve Dmitry's circumstances. Dmitry's getting the
same (or better) treatment than the other prisoners within the federal system.

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at well.com
"We have found and closed the thing you watch us with." -- New Delhi street kids