[free-sklyarov] RE: Long term thoughts [was: Sen. Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org
Sat Aug 4 10:00:16 PDT 2001

I never tried to say such an effort would be easy. Nor do I discount the "boy
band" nonsense going on. *However, fact is that the corporate boobs don't
have any real creativity. They might be able to hold on for years doing the
cheap, quick 'n' dirty bands and such. But if you've watched what has
happened to TV over the years as "narrow casting" has grown, the major
networks have lost *tremendous amounts of audience. Their share was dropping
below half when I was working in TV back in the late '80s.

The music industry has been one of the big backers of DMCA type legislation
because in their dim-witted, reptillian brains they can see something is
wrong. Big bands now regularly spin off and create their *own companies. Now
small bands are going direct over the 'Net. If delivery systems continue to
develop, these middlemen types will go the way of the dinosaurs. I think they
attacked Napster largely because they realized such systems could *replace
them. And I think they're right.

Now the publishing monsters are getting into the act, fearing for their
corporate lives. Even though electronic books are pretty much a flop and the
public is staying away in droves. Still, over the years and decades, this *is
the direction the technology is heading. King has already broken with his
publisher (as the big bands did with the music companies).

My point has been that I think the ultimate solution is to build open, useful
distribution systems for artists. To enable them to connect directly with
their audience. Eventually, even the "boy band" and Britney types will see
the economic logic. After all, you cut out the expense of the middlemen. You
can sell at a much lower price yet make *more money because the margins are
different.

Also, the big advantage we'd have is that the media corporations are screwing
people on both ends of the equation. Not *just the public, not *just the
programmers, but *also the people producing the actual "content." I think
there are pleanty of artists who would love to get out from under the
corporate thumb.

So it wouldn't be easy? Okay. Is anything worthwhile ever "easy?" And it
would take years. But I'm thinking in terms of the next two to five decades.

Besides, I'm just not a "nice guy." I don't just want to whack these
corporations on the head once or twice, I want to *destroy them. Even if it
does take twenty years or so. <eg>

Mark