[free-sklyarov] The digital copyright tug o' war

Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org
Sat Aug 4 10:07:14 PDT 2001

And the founding fathers who CREATED copyright and patents were quite adamant
over the idea that such monopolies *should expire. That the monopoly would be
granted *only for a short time and *only so long as it was beneficial to
society to do so.

They did NOT seek to create a "property" style entitlement. This so called
"intelectual property" isn't in line with the founders' thinking and is, in
fact, a bastardization and corruption of their intent.

Thomas Jefferson was so concerned over the potential for censorship inherent
in government grants of monopolies over ideas that he wanted an amendment
included in what we now know as the "Bill of Rights" that would limit all
such grants of monopoly to a specific number of years with NO extensions.

He was right. And too bad it wasn't done.

Mark