[free-sklyarov] AAP's Judith Platt replies to Politech post, clarifies remarks

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jaed at jaedworks.com
Sat Aug 4 11:34:53 PDT 2001

>From: Judith Platt <jplatt at publishers.org>
>[...]
>publishers and librarians.  My reference to "Ruby Ridge," while perhaps
>ill-advised, was used metaphorically to indicate an extremist position
>out of the mainstream--a very radical view that has been expressed in
>some quarters (although not by any librarians of my acquaintance) that
>all computer code is protected speech under the First Amendment and that
>no one--neither a publisher nor an author, nor anyone else-should be
>able to encrypt copyrighted material to protect it from unauthorized use
>and reproduction, and expect the encryption to be viewed as any other
>lock used to protect property.

So if I'm decoding this sentence correctly, Judith Platt (ironically styled
"Director of Communications & Freedom to Read") is saying that these are
two "very radical" and "extremist" positions, "out of the mainstream":

1) Source code is protected under the first amendment.
2) Your removing a lock that blocks your use of your own property should
not be equated to picking a lock in order to steal someone else's property.

Perhaps someone should advise the Supreme Court and the locksmithing
industry to watch out for the arriving FBI sharpshooters.

jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com