[free-sklyarov] The digital copyright tug o' war

Chuck Mead csm at MoonGroup.com
Sat Aug 4 11:43:46 PDT 2001

* James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) (FreeSklyarov at ZName.com) wrote:

>    >>>Thomas Jefferson was so concerned over the potential
>    >>>for censorship inherent in government grants of monopolies
>    >>>over ideas that he wanted an amendment included in what
>    >>>we now know as the "Bill of Rights" that would limit all such
>    >>>grants of monopoly to a specific number of years with NO extensions.
>
> Citations would be appreciated from anyone who knows where to find more
> information on this particular topic (Jefferson and monopolies).

I don't claim it's very good but I recently wrote an angry piece
about Howard Coble who is from my state and who sponsored the DMCA
in the house... I included a very relevant quote from Thomas
Jefferson at the beginning... it is here:

http://www.moongroup.com/stories.php?story=01/07/30/5196770

--
Have U seen the dirty bird?  | Pilfering Treasury property is
http://www.moongroup.com     | paticularly dangerous: big thieves are