[free-sklyarov] Wretched article at inside.com

Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org
Sat Aug 4 17:42:11 PDT 2001

On Saturday 04 August 2001 17:40, Jon O . wrote:
> On 04-Aug-2001, Mark K. Bilbo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 August 2001 14:23, douglay at relicorp.com wrote:
> > > Anyone interested a quick puke should click here:
> > >
> > > http://www.inside.com/product/product.asp?entity=&pf_ID=E8EECFA3-CBD1-
> > > 447E-952C-CC16283D266C
> > >
> > > If it wasn't clear before, this article should make it crystal-
> > > clear:
> > >
> > > The publishing industry, and its allies in the music and film
> > > industries, cannot tolerate the free exchange of digital information
> > > across the Internet, and are willing to go to any lengths whatsoever
> > > to see that the free exchange of digital information is squelched.
> > >
> > > Anyone for a march on the AAP offices during Usenix?  These people
> > > have basically declared war on programmers.
> > >
> > > -Doug
> >
> > Not just programmers but on the Republic itself. The more I read what the
> > founding fathers *meant with copyright and about their concerns about
> > monopolies granted by the state, I'm moving to the position that people
> > such as Parloff are traitors to the Republic.
> >
> > And I'm not just throwing words. I *mean it.
> >
> > The free flow of ideas is essential to maintaining a democracy. Ours is
> > in enough trouble with a public that is becoming increasingly less
> > educated and informed. But to directly assault the limitations the
> > founders meant on monopolies on information is to betray what this nation
> > allegeds to be.
> >
> > "Intellectual property" is, I now think, treason.
>
> Yes, I think you are right for the most part. There is a certain amount of
> need for it as I'm sure you have read to induce the continued production
> of it. However, at this point in time, everything we do is usually created
> under the employ of a company and therefore becomes their property.
>
> If you end up writing anything I'd be happy to publish it on
> www.anti-dmca.org and make cure people read it.
>
> Once you start seeing the overall plan with Windows XP and ebooks
> and monitoring it starts freaking you out...

It's a blatant attempt by corporations to return us to fuedalism. And, in
fact, what I'm reading about the history of copyright is that it was a major
tool by monarchs to CENSOR.

Our Constitution says a "limited time" for a reason. The free flow of
information is essential to a democracy. But democracy isn't what
corporations want. Not anymore.

Jefferson himself rejected the concept of "property" in regards to ideas.
"Intellectual property" is wholly un-American and detrimental to the Republic.

Mark