[free-sklyarov] National Petition to US Attorney's Office Draft Submission

Klepht klepht at eleutheria.org
Sat Aug 4 23:39:47 PDT 2001

The following text is for the national petition to the US Attorney's
Office (based on Thursday's IRC summit). It makes a specific request
for Dmitry's release and nothing more.

It would probably work best as a "combo pack" -- a fact sheet that
will let people understand what they are signing, and the short
petition statement asking for Dmitry's immediate release.

I'll wordsmith it some more based on suggestions. Seth, I guess, is
going to give edits and a thumbs-up-thumbs-down at some point. It'd be
really cool to have copies of this for Monday's events, but I think
that may be kind of soon.

---8<---
To the Office of the US Attorney for Northern California:

We, the undersigned, request that your office immediately drop
criminal charges against Dmitry Sklyarov, a Russian programmer
arrested for alleged violations of the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act of 1998. We join with the original complainant, Adobe Systems,
Inc., in the position that his continued imprisonment is unwarranted.
We ask that Mr. Sklyarov be released without delay and allowed to
return home to Moscow to his wife and family.
---8<---

Note that I changed the word "unjustified" to "unwarranted," Seth,
based on your suggestion.

~Klepht

klepht at eleutheria.org
http://www.eleutheria.org/