[free-sklyarov] About Roger Parloff's article at www.inside.com

Jay Allen sklyarov at openwire.com
Sun Aug 5 17:04:32 PDT 2001

At 06:23 PM 8/5/2001 -0500, James S. Huggins \(Free Sklyarov\) wrote:

>You might try this url
>http://www.geocities.com/asdf20000825/free_dmitry_roger_parloff.htm

 From the aritcle:

>Now let's visit Planet Earth. Dmitry Sklyarov works for ElcomSoft Co.
>Ltd., a Moscow-based company that sells, among other things, the Advanced
>eBook Processor. That product converts e-books formatted for viewing
>through the Adobe eBook Reader into ordinary, unsecured PDF files. Once in
>that form, the file is in the free and clear, and can be distributed by
>anyone to anyone throughout the globe via numerous file-sharing programs
>like Gnutella, KaZaA, iMesh or Freenet, not to mention by e-mail
>attachment, or by Aimster-style instant-messaging attachment, or by
>posting on evanescent pirate Web sites, and probably via several other
>mechanisms that were invented so recently that you and I haven't heard of
>them yet.
>The point is: it only takes a single unprotected copy to have the material
>spread. The cat is then out of the bag and any attempt to bring a
>copyright infringement charge against the individual who originally
>uploaded it becomes laughably futile, even assuming it were possible to
>identify that individual, which it usually isn't.

Geez, with that logic, we may want to outlaw vision and speech as
circumvention devices as well.  I'm mean, all I have to do is load up
Dragon Naturally Speaking and dictate the contents of the eBook.  Or, if
I'm really into pain, I could simply type it up in Emacs.  Fscking
ridiculous...

Jay Allen
http://www.openwire.com/web/