[free-sklyarov] Does Adobe's EBook reader actually prevent copying?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 6 13:40:21 PDT 2001

on Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:19:45AM +0200, David Haworth (david.haworth at altavista.net) wrote:
> Can someone with more knowledge than I have confirm or deny this?
>
> I suggest that Adobe's ebook reader doesn't actually prevent copying.
> If you install a (legally bought) copy of Windows in a vmware virtual
> machine, install the ebook reader on that virtual machine and then buy
> one or more ebooks keyed to that virtual machine - what happens if
> you transfer the entire virtual drive (just a file to the host OS)
> to another machine that runs vmware? Does it work?

This is the case with most access prevention devices, particularly as
implemented in softwarer.  Hardware may pose other problems.

The point is that it's almost always possible to replicate the encrypted
data directly.  Note, however, that this generally doesn't involve
circumvention of the access prevention system itself.  Thus, it's not
copying, per se, but *access*, which is prohibited by such devices.
This is a point raised in the 2600 case, Kaplan's to date been unmoved
AFAIK.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/