[free-sklyarov] AAP response quoted in a previous thread

alfee cube sisgeek at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 14:20:51 PDT 2001

adler is the individual who used the breaking into the
bookstore analogy which some harried representatives
found such perusuasive logic:

i can replay the exchange in my imagination:

rep: can you explain the dmca anti-circumvention
provision?

adler: well, we are trying to stop thieves from
breaking into the bookstore and stealing our books!

rep: how can anyone be against that, that's burglary,
by god, nobody likes a burglar, especially a book
burglar - you got my vote mr adler!

[note the real colloquy took place in the context of
fair use discussion/]