[free-sklyarov] [sneakums@zork.net: [CrackMonkey] Dumb quote of the day]

Bob Smart bobds at blorch.org
Mon Aug 6 20:07:55 PDT 2001

On Monday 06 August 2001 11:52, you wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Sean Neakums <sneakums at zork.net> -----
>
> > Book publishers say they need a tough law like the Digital
> > Millennium Copyright Act or they'll never be able to make money
> > selling electronic books.

Ummm...they need more than that.  They need a product somebody actually WANTS
or they'll never be able to make money selling anything.  Attention,
publishers: Theft of e-books is not the problem.  The problem is that nobody
wants them bad enough to BOTHER stealing them.

> > If programmers are allowed to crack eBook
> > encryption, the next Napster-style trading system will be exchanging
> > copies of "Moby Dick" instead of songs by Moby, they warn.

Interesting that they should choose that particular example--seeing as to how
Moby Dick was in the public domain before the current generation of fratboy
publishing executives was even born.  The "threat" is that people will
exchange things that don't belong to publishers in the first place?  Do tell.

--

What I wrote above is hereby dedicated to the public domain and may be freely
used, in whole or in part, with or without attribution.