[free-sklyarov] Headline juxtaposition

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Tue Aug 7 12:00:40 PDT 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> Reading the NandO Times (<URL: http://www.nando.net/ >), I found it
> interesting that Dmitry's bail release was right next to "Gunmaker not
> liable for use of weapons in 1993 shootings, California court rules".  The
> analogy between the liability of a gun manufacturer for illegal uses, and
> the liability of AEBPR's author for potential illegal uses, seems obvious.

	Actually, I consider the analogy a bit dubious.  Firstly, we have
	the analogy between crypto products and firearms, which has been
	a thorn in our side for years.  But I've already griped about that.

	But secondly, you will notice that the firearm manufacturer was
	sued over the commission of a specific crime.  Dmitry is,
	apparently, liable for a hypothetical pretend crime.

								-S
	[Maybe he can be fined in Monopoly money.]