[free-sklyarov] Re: [fairuse] Re: [wwwac] Dmitry out on Bail (fwd)

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Tue Aug 7 14:48:09 PDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:36:59 -0400
From: Vagn Scott <vagn at ranok.com>
To: fairuse at mrbrklyn.com
Cc: Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com>
Subject: Re: [fairuse] Re: [wwwac] Dmitry out on Bail

Jay Sulzberger wrote:

> I spoke today to my old friend L.  L does not own a computer, does not use
> a computer at work, and has never sent or received an email in her life.
> We were catching up and I told her that I was at Monday's rally.  I
> started to explain what the issue was, and she broke in "Well, for about
> two years now the big publishers have been pushing to get libraries to
> charge for entry and also to rent out books, rather than loaning them for
> free.  The publishers want to put out books only on computers, so they can
> keep charging for them.".  L learned of the plot against free public
> libraries about two years when she was at a library.  A librarian told
> her.

She knows, but is she letting others know?
Can we tell the story in such a way that
people can't wait to pass it on?

=== Meme Factory ========
Society has advanced to the point where we
no longer burn books: we electrocute them.
E-books are for e-diots.
----------------
problem: The pen is mightier than the sword.
solution: Do away with paper and ink!
E-books are or e-diots.
----------------
The business plan for e-books: If we can just
get all the smart people thrown in jail we'll
make a fortune!
E-books are for e-diots.
You need to screw in a light bulb.
The instructions are printed in an e-book.
Q: How many e-books does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: One for each installer.  No one is allowed to
read another person's e-book.
E-books are for e-diots.
Q: How many FBI agents does it take to screw in a light bulb?