[free-sklyarov] Counter-Terminology

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Tue Aug 7 17:45:58 PDT 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) wrote:

> Fair Use Restricted
> Fair Use Impaired
> Fair Use Crippled
> Use Impaired

	I'd avoid terms that sound opinionated, because third parties are
	unlikely to use them.  What would be nice is a term that people
	other than us will willingly adopt, say in a news article.

	WYAI, BTW:  anyone who can come up with a better word than "content"
	wins a candy bar.  I hate using that word, as it gives the impression
	that music and literature comprise some sort of bland, meterable
	commodity (In a way, it's the same linguistic trap as the term
	"intellectual property.")  Engineers must call it "content" anyways,
	however, because they need *some* general term for all this multimedia
	stuff people are storing in digital format ("Media" doesn't work,
	because it refers to the underlying substrate, not the meaningful
	collection of bits and magic pixie dust thereupon.)

> Use Limited
> Read Restricted
> Ownership Limited

	I like the second one.  The third one is true even of normal
	books, and arguably so is the first.

	"Limited rights media" was suggested earlier.

> James S. Huggins
							-S