[free-sklyarov] Dmitry released on $50K bail

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu_zhu at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 00:12:12 PDT 2001

Jason Sheldon <jsheldon at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

  > Sklyarov wrote a program that allows people who purchase books in
  > digital form and use Adobe Systems Inc.'s eBook Reader to make and
  > transfer copies of the book -- legal under Russian law, but a
  > violation of the DMCA.

  What ever happened to being innocent until proven guilty?  It has yet to
  be determined what Sklyarov did was a violation of the DMCA!  This is
  what we are up against - bad reporting!

There are bigger problems than bad reporting.  The DMCA itself makes a
criminal out of someone who merely makes a tool that can be suspected to
have the pontential to be used in unlawful ways.

This reminds me of a Soviet joke:

Dissident:  You can't treat me like this!  I'm merely a suspect.
KGB Officer:  The fact that you are sitting in this interrogation room
   proves that you are guilty.  Those outside walking in the streets are
   suspects.

Huaiyu Zhu